List of useful development tools...

LastOS

List of useful development tools...

Postby LastOS » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:22 am

I only want them if they are up to date - i use all of them (except I use Virtual Machine for drag and drop support so i wouldn't miss not having that big one).

I use UltraISO for my virtual drive and a couple of them I've never heard of and would like to see what they are. I vote for .apz to be made (ppApp where able).

Thinking that I should spend the time on getting the tools right that I have been making - I only made simple tools for my own needs, and they are damn good tools - if I spent the time making them have a handle that other people can hang on to :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Trouba

Re: List of useful development tools...

Postby Trouba » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:21 pm

Freezer, do you like UltraISO and did you ever use its Virtual Drive? Just wondering... I know you use Virtual Clone Drive, but was wondering what you like/prefer about it. I virtually love UltraISO; the only thing I don't like about it is that the context menu for mounting to vd isn't always there... strange. Maybe I'm deleting that somehow by reg cleaning, who knows.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LastOS

Postby LastOS » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:16 pm

Whats a Reg clean :P

Many apps do get wrecked by clean up tools not having a clue what their doing. So I'd agree that it's not UltraISO's fault as I always have mount on my context, but I also never clean my PC, just start again if it gets to slow or stuffs up.

All Virtual Drives are the same, the only reason I use UltraISO is it's always on my system anyway and it's easier to use one tool to do many jobs (plus it can have 8 Virtual drives) - Mounting 8 MGP's to install at once is cool :)

Main reason tho - it doesn't require anything extra or a Reboot of the OS to use it after it's installed - Daemon Tools and some others do need a reboot. . . Thats 30 - 60 seconds of your life you'll never get back (is it worth it) :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Trouba

Postby Trouba » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:36 pm

Yes, you're probably right. Since I've been doing Master Backups there really isn't much use to do registry cleaning. I guess I'm just fascinated by the idea of it, and there being so many apps out there that do it. CCleaner's reg cleaner is very mild and that may be the only thing to use. Wise Registry Cleaner takes out the Notepad2 association, so I had to add some items to the don't-remove list in the ppApps I made of the app. Another reg cleaner (at one time) took out all file associations I set up for the "Open With" context -- not true association as 'always open with', but, for example, that Photoshop shows up on the Open With context for jpg's, bmp's, png's, etc. So yeah, they are not always safe those reg cleaners.

So really, reg cleaners would have a greater function for people who don't do regular installs and/or have OS backups -- so basically for computer noobs that probably don't use context menus to begin with ;)

So you're saying that you use multiple VD's at once via UltraISO? I can't recall having done that yet, but I assume that's working OK then?

I've never liked Daemon Tool, or Alcohol 120 (or did that not come with a vd), and apps like that. I did make a ssApp for Virtual CD/DVD Emulator (StarWind Software) that I did like, although it requires a service running. I tweaked it so it won't run the service until you start the app, but still the app requires a few more clicks than UltraISO, tho the VD's are quick and solid. I mean it just feels really smooth to use them for some reason.

Oh, one thing I forgot: UltraISO, since I've been using it on Win7, will not do a proper eject of the VD's a lot of the time. I eject a VD/iso, then later on find it on the U:\ drive again (default for the ssApp I use, I think Kay chose U:\ ). Also, then I eject and reboot the PC some time later, the iso is mounted again on the VD. That has happened a LOT and it's still doing that. It feels like at least half of the time if not all the time, if given time and chance.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LastOS

Postby LastOS » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:09 pm

1 ways to successfully eject a VD with UltraISO.

first, right click the drive and choose eject.
second double click an ISO or open a UltraISO window, press f6 and choose Unmount (works every time and is the method I usually use - cause I am already in the ISO folder and it loads so fast).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

The Freezer

Postby The Freezer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:42 pm

Trouba wrote:Freezer, do you like UltraISO and did you ever use its Virtual Drive? Just wondering... I know you use Virtual Clone Drive, but was wondering what you like/prefer about it. I virtually love UltraISO; the only thing I don't like about it is that the context menu for mounting to vd isn't always there... strange. Maybe I'm deleting that somehow by reg cleaning, who knows.

No reasons for one over the other except UltraISO is shareware. Virtual CloneDrive (VCD) only does that one thing (and it does it very well) and that is installs a driver that automatically mounts and ejects ISO disks as if they were the real deal. FYI, the eject automatically unmounts the images as well so that's hasslefree.

The only thing you can't do with VCD is 'burn' ISO's but then that's why I use ImgBurn -- which is totally free, btw, that can give the likes of Nero a run for their money ;-)

LastOS wrote:[...]All Virtual Drives are the same, the only reason I use UltraISO is it's always on my system anyway and it's easier to use one tool to do many jobs (plus it can have 8 Virtual drives) - Mounting 8 MGP's to install at once is cool :)[...]

Then you'll love VCD, it can mount 15! :shock:

Plus, one can install VCD without a reboot. I've even created an ssApp for it -- though that was mainly for it to handle the unsigned drivers dialog
I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

The Freezer

Postby The Freezer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:38 pm

Updated first post to reflect the APZ links

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

-c0dez3ro-

Postby -c0dez3ro- » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:47 pm

TheFreezerBox wrote:Updated first post to reflect the APZ links

freezer i made a update to inno setup verison 5.3.11 and also added ISS Tool

Inno Setup
ISS Tool
Last edited by -c0dez3ro- on Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

The Freezer

Postby The Freezer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:56 pm

-c0dez3ro- wrote:
TheFreezerBox wrote:Updated first post to reflect the APZ links

freezer i made a update to inno setup verison 5.3.11 and also added ISS Tool

well im trying to lol

i keep gettin the ftp: in front of my dl link

Huh. It'd been so long since the last update to Inno... figures it'd get updated after I made the .apz :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

-c0dez3ro-

Postby -c0dez3ro- » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:00 pm

haha check it out lemme know what u think

how do i get the links to come up like urs ,,i had to copy and paste urs and change it

edit: well crap it dont work
(beats self over the head with a stick )

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

The Freezer

Postby The Freezer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:08 pm

-c0dez3ro- wrote:haha check it out lemme know what u think

Can we have ISTool as separate package instead? That way we can make several third party GUI's available to choose from. Just a thought. Personally I don't use ISTool myself, but I'm sure others do

-c0dez3ro- wrote:how do i get the links to come up like urs ,,i had to copy and paste urs and change it

edit: well crap it dont work
(beats self over the head with a stick )

Try using the full path, like so: http://www.lastos.net/team/TheFreezerBox/Apps/nameofapp.apz
Last edited by The Freezer on Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

-c0dez3ro-

Postby -c0dez3ro- » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:10 pm

yea i can make one , did that link i posted work cus its not workin for me , not sure what i did wrong

edit 1: ok i fixed it lol

edit 2:gimmie a few and ill made the ISS tool

edit 3: ok all done

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

The Freezer

Postby The Freezer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:41 pm

So, question for you... which tool did you use to build your .apz?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

-c0dez3ro-

Postby -c0dez3ro- » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:32 pm

TheFreezerBox wrote:So, question for you... which tool did you use to build your .apz?

lol i opened urs with 7z :))

i havent really got into usein the builder much
im such a noobie on it , i use the older one alot though

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

The Freezer

Postby The Freezer » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:19 am

Mozilla Firefox.jpg
Mozilla Firefox.jpg (61.96 KiB) Viewed 17311 times

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

The Freezer

Postby The Freezer » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:14 pm

This topic now being maintained via this thread: SetupS Project Development Tools

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Discussion”