MS Office 2013 Pushing Home Users Toward Subscriptions

General discussions and unrelated chit-chat allowed here.
The Freezer

MS Office 2013 Pushing Home Users Toward Subscriptions

Postby The Freezer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:17 pm

Microsoft pushes home users toward Office subscriptions—whether they like it or not
Slashdot wrote:"Ars reports that Microsoft has announced pricing plans for Office 2013 that include a subscription-based model for home users. There will be a $100/year Home version that can be shared by up to 5 users and a $150/year Small Business version. 'Subscription software of one form or another has proven popular in the enterprise (whether it be cloud services, like Office 365, or subscriptions to desktop software, such as Microsoft's Software Assurance scheme). But so far it's a rarity in the consumer space. Anti-virus software has tried to bully and cajole users into getting aboard the subscription train, but the large number of users with out-of-date anti-viral protection suggests users are resisting. ... As another incentive to subscribe, and one that might leave a bad taste in the mouth, the company says that subscribers will be given unspecified "updates" to add new features and capabilities over the life of their subscription. Perpetual licensees will only get bug fixes and security updates.'"
I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

palulukon

Re: MS Office 2013 Pushing Home Users Toward Subscriptions

Postby palulukon » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:28 am

Since each version looks more like a Fisher Price toy doesn't matter to me…07 works just fine.

But yeah, this really sucks. :thumbdown:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Cafe Diem”