Classic Shell v3.5.0 supports Win8 customer preview

General discussions and unrelated chit-chat allowed here.
Trouba

Classic Shell v3.5.0 supports Win8 customer preview

Postby Trouba » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:40 pm

Classic Shell just came out with version 3.5.0, which adds support for the Windows 8 Customer Preview build: http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/faq.html#win8

Does Classic Shell support Windows 8?

Starting with version 3.5.0, Classic Shell supports Windows 8 Consumer Preview. It adds a new customizable start button and some of the features have been disabled because they are not possible on Windows 8 or no longer make sense - like the status bar enhancements, the copy dialog replacement, and the Up button.

That said, Windows 8 is still not final (as of March 2012), so it is possible that version 3.5.0 will not work with the final Windows 8 build.

I'm glad to see that this very well written app is stepping to the plate to make Win8 palatable to serious Desktop users.

EDIT: added screenshot of Classic Shell 3.5.0 installed on Win8 in VirtualBox:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

palulukon

Re: Classic Shell v3.5.0 supports Win8 customer preview

Postby palulukon » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:15 pm

[font=Tahoma]T, you say
Win8 palatable to serious Desktop users
I've looked at 8, bleh, what would be the advantage of switching to 8? And doesn't micro have a history of releasing a new os too soon with too many bugs?[/font]

~rose

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Trouba

Postby Trouba » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:46 pm

palulukon wrote:[font=Tahoma]T, you say
Win8 palatable to serious Desktop users
I've looked at 8, bleh, what would be the advantage of switching to 8? And doesn't micro have a history of releasing a new os too soon with too many bugs?[/font]

~rose

Well, the main complaint about Win8 amongst power users and desktop users was that the Metro interface seems to be forced upon them, plus the Start button and start menu we had all become accustomed to disappeared. So for those who want or need to use Win8 it will be a very welcome thing to have options like the one Classic Shell provides.

As for personally switching over to Win8, I doubt that will happen the day of its final release :lolno: But perhaps in time, when kinks have been worked out and enough customization is possible to make it function close to the manner in which Win7 functions. The nice thing about Win8 is going to be how optimized it is when compared to Win7. It does start up faster, runs faster, uses resources more efficiently than Win7. But if there are too many hurdles and annoyances concerning its use, I will not switch over to Win8 and stay with Win7.

I'd like to play with the new WAIK tools for Win8 and try to build a customized Win8 image with those (MS's own tools) and see what is possible with Win8. The interface part of it I'm sure can and will be modded by many people, so for that part I think we can get it pretty close to the way we like. So we'll see. But Win7 has been so good and solid that it'll be worth it to keep it up-to-date, regardless :thumbup:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

palulukon

Postby palulukon » Fri May 18, 2012 8:17 pm

I've read more on 8 and metro. Read on LastOS where Glenn thinks it is da bomb…install in 6 min vs 43 for 7, boot in 8 seconds vs 14. Frankly none of this impresses me. I don't want an interface that looks like a Fisher Price toy. I don't want an os that I have to layer over just to get some semblance of looking attractive. Sure for the metro crowd (small) they like it but I'm just not that Fisher Price oriented. I personally love the aero effect…heck, I like working on an attractive interface. So 8 handles memory a bit better. Let's split hairs with few seconds here and there. So it takes longer to install 7…go have a cup of joe and chill. Why always the rush to save seconds or minutes here and there. Take time to smell the roses so to speak~

I passed on Office 10 bc it is the most god awful gui imho. I'll sit out all these new and supposedly improved bs things bc at some point the pc is going to take a quantum leap. Things that see so far off in the future but are not. In the mean time if microstupes want to run another lame idea across the sheeple fine.

My visual experience is every bit as important as performance and I'm not going to trade that visual for a few seconds here and there.

Beauty is very important in my world and 8 is anything but beautiful~

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

The Freezer

Postby The Freezer » Fri May 18, 2012 8:57 pm

You are correct.

And don't forget the business model is also at fault here. Each year Microsoft is required to show (to the shareholders mainly) an even bigger profit than the previous year -- no matter how small that margin actually is, it just needs to be bigger. And that's tough. I mean, where does it all end?

It sort of reminds me of pyramid/ponzi schemes. ;)
I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

palulukon

Postby palulukon » Fri May 18, 2012 11:42 pm

Of course this is much too logical, so over microstupes heads…but if they offered stuff that was truly customizable their popularity would skyrocket. Office offers three choices for colors. Same three ppl keep complaining about and not just for appearances. Fixed system fonts and that is just so stupid. Ppl's eyes respond to fonts differently, esp visually challenged. Microstupes mindset is take it or leave it…this is what we have decided for you. So ppl are changing more and more to other avenues. It's no diff than the movie/music industry whining that evil pirates are taking their business. If any of these idiots would give the market what they are asking for at reasonable prices profits would soar.

But alas that understanding is beyond their comprehension. I love your tag Freezer…

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code. :thumbup:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

The Freezer

Postby The Freezer » Fri May 18, 2012 11:53 pm

palulukon wrote:It's no diff than the movie/music industry whining that evil pirates are taking their business. If any of these idiots would give the market what they are asking for at reasonable prices profits would soar.

LOL. This is a little off-topic but relevant: http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-pira ... ntfreak%29

Apparently others back your supposition as well ;)

palulukon wrote:I love your tag Freezer…

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Cafe Diem”